Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in Japan
Home Consular Services Birth in Japan

Birth in Japan



  • Registration
  • Transcription
  • Last Name
  • Nationality
  • Recognition



Every child born in Japanese territory must be registered with the Japanese municipality of residence of the parents within 14 days after birth.

Parents must take the following administrative steps:

  1. Request a copy of your Japanese birth certificate: SHUSSEI TODOKE KISAI JIKO SHOMEI at the Japanese town hall where the birth was registered. 

Note: Do not request juri shomeisho. This short version is not enough!

  1. Have the document legalized by means of an apostille (convention of The Hague) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Gaimusho).
  2. A translation of the birth certificate drawn up by a sworn translator: A list of sworn translators in Belgium is available at the Court of First Instance in Belgium. You can also find a list here
    • ​​​​​​​Careful! Check whether the names and dates have all been correctly translated 
  3. Completely filled out registration form for the newborn child (Dutch or French form)


The parent registered in the consular registers of the Belgian Embassy in Tokyo must then take the following steps:

  1. A) First of all, send all original documents by post to the Embassy together with a self-addressed envelope (expact 520, available at any post office). As soon as the Embassy has received and verified all the original documents, the child will be registered in the registers of this item and a new national register number will be created. Afterwards you can, if desired, apply for a passport and / or a Kids-ID for the child.

The original documents will be returned to you by registered letter. You can then use these documents to have the birth certificate transferred in the registers of civil state.

The parent registered in a Belgian municipality must take the following steps:

  1. B) Send a copy of all documents to the Embassy and hand over the original documents to the municipality of your domicile in Belgium. On the basis of these documents they will register your child in the registers of your municipality.

Please note: it is not possible to apply for a passport for the child in the Embassy if it is not registered in the consular registers of the postal service. In this case you can only obtain a passport in Belgium.


It is strongly recommended to the Belgian parent to transcribe the birth certificate in the registry of civil status in the municipality of last residence in Belgium.

Once the deed has been transferred, you can always obtain an extract and issues of this deed.

If this is not done, the Japanese municipality of residence will remain the only location where a copy of the birth certificate can be obtained in the future.

For those formalities, we recommend that you first contact the municipality concerned to check their conditions.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself the transfer during a return to Belgium, sometimes it can be requested by a family member who lives in Belgium.

Validity of the marriage certificate with apostille and translation by transfer can be a maximum of 6 months.


To know more about the usefulness of a transfer, see the following link: why transfer a birth certificate?



The child is Belgian by birth if the Belgian mother and / or father was born in Belgium.

If the Belgian parent was born outside Belgium, a declaration of retention of nationality is required:

To know more about this, you can contact the Embassy.



If a child is Belgian at birth (see Nationality), Belgian law will apply to the determination of the name.

To know more about naming you can read the following page:


If you have any questions, you can contact the Embassy by mail with your questions regarding the family name.



If the parents are not married, there is a chance that the paternal attunement is not established at birth.


The Belgian father will then have to recognize the child.

More information at


If applicable, please contact the Embassy; preferably before birth.