Choice of name
DETERMINATION / CHANGE OF THE NAME AND FIRST NAME (S) OF A BELGIAN BORN CHILD IN JAPAN
Valid for children born after 01.01.2018:
The Belgian child's family name(s) and first name(s), as stated in the Japanese birth certificate by the Japanese Civil Officer, are recognized by Belgian law.
CHANGE OF FAMILY NAME
However, if the parents of the Belgian child want to change the name as stated by the Japanese Civil Officer on the Japanese birth certificate, they can choose the Belgian law for the determination of the child's name.
• This choice can be made only for the first common child of the parents.
• This choice will then apply to all following common children.
• This choice is irrevocable.
► Which name(s)?
Since 1 June 2014, parents can choose between several options: the name of one of the parents or a combination of the two names (in the desired order). If the couple has common children born before June 1, 2014, this choice is more limited - Please check the FPS Justice website: https://justice.belgium.be/fr/themes_et_dossiers/enfants_et_jeunes/filiation/attribution_du_nom_de_famille
- either when registering the child in the consular population register of the embassy;
- or when transcribing the Japanese birth certificate in the civil registers in Belgium (art. 48 BW).
- This is the first common child of the parents.
- The choice of the applicable law for determining the name is made in writing.
When registering your child in the consular registers of the embassy, please send:
- birth certificate with apostille
- sworn translation,
- Copy of the passport of the non-Belgian parent,
- Copy of the family register of the non-Belgian parent + free translation into a national language
As well as the following documents:
Based on the above documents, the Embassy will draft a declaration of name change. The draft of the declaration is first submitted to our central administration in Brussels for approval. once the declaration is approved you will receive a notification and an appointment can be made for the declaration to be signed at the embassy.
The procedure can take several months.
CHANGE OF FIRST NAME
Consult the following website: