Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in Japan
Home Consular Services Divorce



In order to correct your civil state in the Belgian National Register, you will need the following documents:

  • A certified copy of your divroce certificate: RIKON TODOKE KISAI JIKO SHOMEI - to request at the Japanese town hall where the wedding took place. !Be careful: Do not request a Juri Shomeisho. This short version does not contain sufficient information for the Belgian government.
  • Legalization: every authentic certificate delivered by the Japanese government and for use in Belgium has to be provided with an Apostille (see the convention of Den Hague). This formality can be done by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Gaimusho) (see website).
  • Translation: A translation of your divorce certificate, prepared by a Belgian sworn translator. A list of sworn translators can be obtained at the Court of First Instance in Belgium. A limited list of translators can also be found here. Make sure the names and dates were all correctly translated and transcribed from Japanese to your language.

! Note: If your marriage has not yet been registered, you must first of all arrange this. See also the page about marriage.


If you are registered in the Belgian Embassy in Tokyo: First of all, send all the original documents to the Embassy by post. Upon reception of your documents the Embassy will verify the information and adjust your civil state accordingly in the National Register. Next, the originals will be sent back to you by post. (please add 520 JPY in cash or a self-adressed expack 520 envelope) You can use these originals to transcribe your divroce certificate in the registers of civil state in Belgium (see transcription of divorce certificate in Belgium).

If you are registered in a Belgian commune: Send a copy of all documents to the Embassy. Next you send the original documents to your municipality of residence in Belgium. The municipality will then correct your civil state in the National Register.


If you are registered in the consular registers of this post and you are divorced in Japan, the Embassy strongly recommends you to transcribe your divorce certificate in your municipality in Belgium after your divorce (note: No inscription or declaration). If you are not registered in Belgium anymore, then in the following order: your last registered municipality in Belgium; registered municipality of blood relatives in Belgium; municipality where your birth was registered or, last: The city of Brussels.

When the certificate has been transcribed, you can obtain an extract or a certified copy of your certificate. To prevent potential problems in the future, the Embassy strongly recommends you to finalize this procedure as soon as possible.

Before starting this procedure, you should contact the concerned municipality to find out their requirements: Some municipalities require you present the documents in person, others will accept family members, etc…

The validity of the divorce certificate with apostille and the translation can be maximum 6 months.


Below you can find some documents that you will need.

List of sworn translators

Example of a Japanese ceritificate of divorce