Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in Japan
Home Visa for Belgium

Visa for Belgium



As of 1 July 2020, in accordance with European Recommendation 9208/20, the Belgian government has taken measures regarding the gradual reopening of its borders for travelers from Japan. 

Who can apply for a visa? 

C Visas with a view to marry or declare a legal cohabitation can now apply. 

Visa applications for all D (Long Stay) type visas are now accepted, but the issuance/delivery of the visa is on hold until further notice, with the exception of the cases mentioned below.

Which visas are currently being issued?

C Visas with a view to marry or declare a legal cohabitation 

D Visas for Studies 

D Visas for Family Reunion

D Visas for Athletes

D Visas for Single Permit Holders

D Visas for Hosting Agreement Holders 

Kindly check the Types of Visas and the Steps to Apply for the latest information regarding your visa application.

Currently, all countries outside the EU and the Schengen countries are considered as red zones. Travelers from Japan are therefore considered as coming from a red zone and are obliged to observe the following sanitary measures:

Mandatory sanitary measures when entering Belgium

  1. Passenger Locator Form: anyone entering Belgium is obliged to complete the online "Public Health Passenger Locator Form" within 48 hours prior to travel. You will need to show the printed document in order to be able to board your airplane. On arrival in Belgium, the form must be handed over to the designated authorities at the border. This is a sanitary measure imposed by the Federal Public Service Health, Food Chain Safety, and Environment. Further information can be found on the form itself.
  2. PCR-Test: Upon arrival in Belgium, every traveler from a red zone is required to perform a PCR-Test, to be arranged by oneself with a hospital or practitioner in Belgium. You will need the QR code on the printed Passenger Health Locator Form to be able to perform a PCR-test.  More information.
  3. Quarantine: Upon arrival in Belgium, every traveler from a red zone is required to perform a 14-day period of self-isolation.

FPS Public Health: Covid-19 FAQ

  • What measures apply when travelling from and to countries outside the European Union, the Schengen zone and the United Kingdom?
  • When should I fill in a "Public Health Passenger Locator Form”?
  • What does 'quarantine' mean?
  • When should travelers from abroad self-isolate?


Do you live in Japan and need a visa to go to Belgium for private/professional/academic purposes? Find all the necessary information about the visa application procedure on our visa pages:

Important notice on Covid-19 prevention measures at the Visa Desk

Steps to apply

Types of Visas

Frequently Asked Questions 


Note for Schengen visa (Short Stay Visa C) applicants:

  • Japanese Citizens do not need a Short Stay Schengen visa when they travel to Belgium for a short visit (no more than 90 days per period of 180 days).
  • Non-Japanese citizens should check on the webpage of the European Commission whether they need a Short Stay Schengen visa for their intended trip.
  • Please note that you may submit your visa application only 90 days before the intended date of departure.
  • We strongly recommend that you apply at least 3 weeks before the intended date of departure.
  • If you hold a special passport or travel document such as Diplomatic/Official/Service, etc.,  please contact us by e-mail.


Information on the GDPR

General Data Protection Regulation. Information to be provided to applicants concerning the processing of personal data in the Visa Information System (VIS) provided upon short stay visa applications

Privacy statement. Processing of personal data in the context of a visa application